The More You Know
All runners know that aches and pain can diminish your ability to train and log miles. At Kathalynas Spine, Sport and Rehab, we not only treat running injuries, but we offer methods of prevention for future injuries.
Common Running Injuries
Comparable to other forms of exercise, running is not dangerous. However, there are many ways for a runner to become injured. Factors such as poor running form, inadequate rest and recovery, inadequate nutrition and hydration, and over-training can lead to injury, as well as, poorly fitted shoes and the terrain. Other factors that can cause running injuries are postural or musculoskeletal factors, like flat arches or knocked knees, that cause more strain on the body. Some common running injuries are:
- Back pain: muscle strains (e.g., erector spinae, quadradus lumborum, and iliopsoas), disc bulge, spinal nerve compression
- Hip pain and upper leg pain: muscle strains (e.g., hip flexors, quadriceps, and hamstrings), piriformis syndrome (sciatic nerve compression by the piriformis muscle), labrum tear, Iliotibial band syndrome
- Knee pain: patellofemoral pain syndrome (“runner’s knee”), patellar tendonitis, bursitis, ligament (ACL/MCL) sprains, meniscus tears
- Lower leg pain and ankle/foot pain: shin splints, Achilles tendonitis, ankle sprains, stress fractures, and plantar fasciitis
The symptoms of running injuries can vary depending on the injury. Symptoms include pain, swelling, localized warmth and redness, decreased range of motion, leg numbness and tingling, and joint stiffness.
Benefits of Treating Running Injuries with Chiropractic Care
At Kathalynas Spine, Sport, and Rehab, we are able to evaluate and treat our patients with our expertise gained through different certifications and courses. This allows our physicians to assess the injury, provide treatment, and help prevent further injury. Running injuries can be treated drug free with the following:
- Chiropractic adjustments
- Spinal decompression
- Class 4 laser therapy
- Massage therapy
- Custom orthotics fitting and prescription
- Corrective exercises
- Lifestyle and nutritional counseling
Your Total Health Ally
At Kathalynas Spine, Sport, and Rehab, our trained professionals have the knowledge and training to help you meet your goals. Let us help you live your best life!