The More You Know
All runners know that aches pains that are only minor can diminish your ability to train and log miles. The professionals at Kathalynas Spine, Sport and Rehab are highly knowledgeable about the treatment and healing of running injuries. At Kathalynas Spine, Sport and Rehab, we not only treat running injuries, but we offer methods of prevention for future injuries.
Common Running Injuries
Comparable to many other forms of exercise, running is not dangerous, but there are many ways to become injured. Factors such as poor running form, inadequate rest and recovery, inadequate nutrition and hydration, and overtraining can lead to injury, as can poorly fitting shoes, or the terrain that you run on. Other factors that can cause running injuries are postural or musculoskeletal factors like flat arches or knocked knees that cause more strain on the body. Some common running injuries are:
- Back pain: muscle strains (e.g., erector spinae, quadradus lumborum, and iliopsoas), disc bulge, spinal nerve compression
- Hip pain and upper leg pain: muscle strains (e.g., hip flexors, quadriceps, and hamstrings), piriformis syndrome (sciatic nerve compression by the piriformis muscle), labrum tear, Iliotibial band syndrome
- Knee pain: patellofemoral pain syndrome (“runner’s knee”), patellar tendonitis, bursitis, ligament (ACL/MCL) sprains, meniscus tears
- Lower leg pain and ankle/foot pain: shin splints, Achilles tendonitis, ankle sprains, stress fractures, and plantar fasciitis
The symptoms of running injuries can vary depending on the unique injury. Symptoms include pain, swelling, localized warmth and redness, decreased range of motion, leg numbness and tingling, and joint stiffness.
Benefits of Treating Running Injuries with Chiropractic Care
Running injuries benefit greatly from chiropractic because it allows our doctors to identify areas that are adding to you pain, such as imbalances or patterns or movement. This identification leads to a strategy to prevent future injuries as well as treat existing injuries. Running injuries can be treated drug free by the following:
- Chiropractic adjustments
- Spinal decompression
- Cold laser therapy
- Massage therapy
- Custom orthotics fitting and prescription
- Corrective exercises
- Lifestyle and nutritional counseling
Your Total Health Ally
At Kathalynas Spine, Sport & Rehab, our goal is your total health. Our trained professionals have the knowledge and know-how to make sure you feel amazing. Let us help you live your best life!